Thursday 3 May 2012

Natural Born Killers (1994)

Director: Oliver Stone
Starring: Woody Harrelson, Juliet Lewis, Robert Downey Jr, Tommy Lee Jones
Certificate: 18
Genre: Crime
Awards: None

Natural Born Killers was based off the screenplay by Quentin Tarantino. I had read the screenplay before I had seen the film and so thought I knew what I was going to get. I stand corrected. The film follows two psychopathic killers who are madly in love - Mickey and Mallory Knox (Harrelson and Lewis).  They then become celebrities that everybody wants to be.

Oliver Stone seems to have forgotten that he has an audience when he was making this film. The film is filled with symbols and effects that just get in the way of the plot. The laugh track during a traumatic scene and random dream sequences of turtles and rabbits just irritate me. Also, in the script, the black and white scenes only come up when it is in the point of view of the camera the on-film film crew use. In the film, the scene changes to black and white randomly.

My opinion may be biased on this film as I am a Tarantino fanboy, but it really was not enjoyable for me. Although it was well acted.

**Pretty Bad

No comments:

Post a Comment